Saturday, June 2, 2007

Great Churches of North America

Saint Joan of Arc Chapel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
www.marquette.edu/chapel/
This medieval chapel, abandoned in France and moved to the United States in the 1920s, is believed to be the only medieval building in the Western Hemisphere still used in its original capacity. St. Joan of Arc is believed to have worshiped in this chapel.






Old Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe
(1690-1709)
near Mexico City, Mexico

A new basilica was constructed in the 1970s because this old basilica was damaged in a bombing in the 1920s and was sinking.





California Missions
Also See:
Lesley Rice's California Missions Unit Study from Heart and Mind Magazine





San Xavier del Bac
(1783-1797)
near Tucson, Arizona
Official website








Notre Dame de Montreal
(1824-1879)
Montreal, Canada
www.patrimoine-religieux.qc.ca/bndmtl/bndmtle.htm









Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
(1920-1959)
Washington, D.C.
www.nationalshrine.com





Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe
(1974-1976)
near Mexico City, Mexico
(holds 10,000-40,000 people!)



"I wish that a temple be erected here quickly, so I may therein exhibit and give all my love, compassion, help, and protection. Because I am your merciful mother, to you, and to all the inhabitants on this land and all the rest who love me, invoke and confide in me; to listen there to their lamentations, and remedy all their miseries, afflictions and sorrows. And to accomplish what my clemency pretends, go to the palace of the bishop of Mexico, and you will say to him that I manifest my great desire, that here on this plain a temple be built to me." Words of Our Lady to Juan Diego

www.sancta.org/basilica.html

2 comments:

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Perhaps a picture of the original church could be added?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Guadalupe

love2learnmom said...

Yes, I'm planning on it. Thanks!